Monday, August 24, 2009

On the flip side of the Streets (Enigma)

Just to let everyone know, I'm no fan of dance music at all. I generally find this type of music to get on my nerves. I like Reggae, Yes, ELP, Hip Hop, Pop type of stuff, so Enigma should be totally out of my league, but then why on Earth do I love it? Because it has some of the most creepy atmosphere I have ever heard on any album. The idea of blending a genre I can't stand (dance) with a very gloomy electronic ambiance, Gregorian chanting and odd electronic flutes actually turned out to be quite appealing. I bought this in 1991, so I was more or less there from the beginning and I was not one bit disappointed. Those Gregorian chants are real (I heard those chants on some TV documentary without the Enigma beats). The first time I became aware of Enigma was seeing a video to "Sadness" in November 1990, about three months before the American release of MCMXC a.D. and from just hearing that, I knew I had to get the album once it became easily available. This album is sure not perfect. The dance beats do get very samey and it does sound quite homogeneous, but the very creepy and gloomy atmosphere makes up for this album's shortcomings. I have heard the next two Enigma releases, but I was not as impressed. The Cross of Changes finds them being more diverse, but the gloomy atmosphere was gone, replaced by the occasional sickeningly sweet New Age . For those people who understand and appreciate the power of music to enhance mood, this release is an experience in sensuality. Layered with religious symbolism, lush female vocals, spoken word (often in French), sounds from nature, and sensual beats, Enigma takes the listener (or listeners, as this release is also enjoyable with a companion) on a journey of self actualization, inner peace, and outward passion.

Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. being one that LOOOOOOOOVES his House Music, my heart broke a little when you said you were not a fan of Dance Music. LOL! but i do understand. Dance Music is not for everyone. i too find myself wondering where my love for Enigma comes from. i too heard them a long time ago and had to own everything they put out. i too love the atmospheric effect of their sound. i like to listen to them when i am just sitting around with a glass of Riesling at the ready. that makes for a relaxing moment. thank you for posting this article. i am going to put some Enigma on this evening when i am chilling.

    ReplyDelete

Bless Up!

Look at the nation,

Look at the nation,
that's a crooked smile braces couldn't even straighten!